They Are Poisoning Our Air! Tuckahoe, Eastchester & Bronxville
We need you to Support Dr. Hughes at the Developer’s Community Meeting on Wednesday, January 11, 2017 @ 7:00pmStop them from opening the Marbledale Road Quarry Dump and Dumping Toxins Into Our Air & Water
They Are Playing Russian Roulette with Our Lives.
We need you to protect our air
Bilwin Developments Tuckahoe Community Update Meeting run by H.E.S. (Developer’s Consultant)
Wednesday, January 11, 2017 at 7pm
Tuckahoe Community Center
71 Columbus Ave, Tuckahoe NY
Dr. Hughes will be at the meeting advocating for us.
Please be at the meeting to support Dr. Hughes & our community.
We need to speak up and demand that they protect us.
Dr. Donald Hughes, P.E., P.H.D., was on the phone for over an hour today with Mike Musso (Tuckahoe Village Consultant), to no avail!
Mike Musso, Tuckahoe, Bilwin Developments, the DEC and the DOH are planning to dig shortly, without any protections or monitoring of the Toxic Contaminated Vapors! Dr. Hughes has been recommending protections, and testing, of the toxic vapors for over a year: But they refuse to protect our community.
The Air Monitoring that is in place does not detect the contaminated vapors!
The Nov, 2016 testing results, that were just released in December, show that the Dump is contaminating our Air Now, before any digging has started! & they are about to release more into our Air.
What you must do:
Demand to know the Pathways of all of the Toxics!
Demand that the Village of Tuckahoe, Bilwin Developments, Mike Musso of HDR, H.E.S., the DEC, the DOH, the Town of Eastchester and the Village of Bronxville, require that all Remediation and Construction activities halt until the following are completed:
I) Complete Air & Health Risk Analysis: a) of all contaminants that are already impacting our communities from the Marriott Marbledale Road Toxic Dump. b) of all contaminants that will be released during the remediation and construction activities.
II) Complete Air Pathway Analysis for all Contaminant Pathways including: Contaminated Groundwater & Soil Vapor Pathways.
- You must find out where the contaminants are going, now.
- You must find out where the contaminates are coming from, now.
- You must find out how we can be protected from these toxics, now.
What has been happening:
- Bilwin Developments is ready to dig the “hot spots” (very contaminated areas of the dump) without community protections from the contaminated vapors.
- Members of the Community, funded by donations to the Marbledale Road Environmental Coalition, have taken legal action in trying to overturn the hazardous decisions. An injunction is another action which needs community fundiing.
- Large amounts of Data still has not been made available to Dr. Hughes from the DEC & the Village of Tuckahoe.
- Bilwin Developments began digging on the site on December 27, 2016, without any Safety Protocols in place.
- Although Dr. Hughes, P.E., P.H.D. does speak with Mr. Mike Musso (the Tuckahoe Village Consultant) on a bi-monthly basis,
Mr. Musso does rarely acts on any of Dr. Hughes recommendations.
- Dr. Donald Hughes, P.E., P.H.D., and Mr. Paul Rubin, Hydrogeologist, have been recommending, continuously over this past year, that the DEC and the Village of Tuckahoe do: Community Protective Testing & Assessments before any remediation or construction activities. These recommendations have been ignored.
- Dr. Donald Hughes, P.E., P.H.D., has assessed all data that has been made available to him. All of Dr. Hughes recommendations are supported by findings and reports submitted to the DEC and the Village of Tuckahoe.
- All on-site testing is done by H.E.S. (developer’s consultant). All off-site testing data is done by the D.E.C.’s contractors.
- They are ready to dig with out completed testing.
PLEASE: We Can Not Do This without Your CONTRIBUTIONS – Stop them from Poisoning our Air! Our experts are protecting us!
Please Contribute $50, $100, $500, $1000, or whatever you can.
The Coalition is funding our community members in the Article 78 legal action. The Article 78 is a costly action, and we need our community’s support. Because of recent activities by Bilwin Developements, we need to file an injunction to halt all digging, and prevent further toxic release into our communities.
The Article 78 seeks to overturn the dangerous, and premature decisions that have lead us to this hazardous situation.
Please help us fund the Environmental Experts, Their support is crucial to our efforts.
When you can’t breathe, nothing else matters any more.
CONTRIBUTE HERE by Credit Card
If you prefer to contribute by check, please Make Checks out to:
Marbledale Road Environmental Coalition
p.o.box 14, Eastchester, NY 10709
This Map of the Off-Site Vapors, & this Data below, show that the Dump is contaminating us now. Toxics are seeping out by air and water now!
Key for Nov. 2016 Off-Site Vapor Map:
(Off-Site = off of the Marriott Site)
Long term Ambient Air NYDEC Safety Guidelines:
PCE (Perchloroethylene): 4.0u/m3
TCE (Trichloroethylene): 0.2 u/m3 DCE (Dicholoroethylene): 63 u/m3
VC (Vinyl Chloride): 0.11 u/m3
(Not to exceed these values).
1) Contaminated Soil vapors, 100xs times the DEC’s Air Safety Guidelines, including TCE & PCE, found on & off of the Marriott site: in our communities. These contaminated vapors are widespread. They have left the dump and are in our air and are moving under Marbledale Road and surfacing in the surrounding areas. (Testing Data Nov, 2016)
2) The Community Air Safety Monitoring Protocol (CAMP) does NOT detect Contaminated Vapors. They are digging in the ground and releasing untold amounts of toxic vapors into our air, without any community safety!
3) TCE was found in the Air at 8x’s the Safety guidelines!
TCE at 1.6 ug/m3 was found in the Ambient Air on Marbledale Road.
DEC’s Air Safety guideline is 0.2 ug/m3.
(The Ambient Air is the air above the ground. This reading was taken more than a month before any trench digging started).
4) The DEC is supposed to identify all sources of contaminants, the contaminant pathways, and the contaminant impacts, before any remediation or construction activities. But, they did not! Now our air is being poisoned. Poisoned by what is coming off of the dump, by vapor and water, even before they start digging! Poisoned by what they are releasing into our air with all of Bilwin’s activities!
5) Groundwater Contamination in the Bedrock Horrifyingly high & giving off Toxic Vapors on their path to Bronxville!
These toxic contaminants are volatile and emanate toxic vapors. The ground water is flowing into Bronxville. The Vapor Pathways must be found!
The NYDEC groundwater safety standard for each contaminate listed is:
Nov. 2016 Testing results:
PCE = 6000 ug/L
TCE = 6,600 ug/L
1,2-Dichloroethylene =4,100 ug/L
Trans-1,2-Dichloroethylene = 150 ug/L
Vinyl Chloride = 490 ug/L
These contaminants were found dissolved in the bedrock water.
The DEC erroneously asserted that the bedrock would filter carcinogens out of the water. The water is not filtered. It is obvious that these frighteningly high toxins are moving with the groundwater, toward, and into Bronxville, and giving off vapors as they go..
These are highly carcinogenic contaminants!
This is a list of just some of the Contaminants that will be released by Vapor into our communities when they start digging into the Marriott Dump Site:
Let all officials know about the dangers we face as a community over Bilwin Development’s premature excavation of the Marbledale Road Toxic Dump site without the proper precautions in place. The additional testing has not been completed, and there has not been any Risk Assessement. Yet, they have already begun to dig at the site.
Short-term exposure to high levels of perchloroethylene can cause buildup of fluid in the lungs, eye and respiratory irritation, severe shortness of breath, sweating, nausea, vomiting, headache, dizziness, sleepiness, confusion, difficulty speaking and walking, and lightheadedness.
Read More at:
Relatively short-term exposure of animals to trichloroethylene resulted in harmful effects on the nervous system, liver, respiratory system, kidneys, blood, immune system, heart, and body weight. Exposure to trichloroethylene in the workplace may cause scleroderma (a systemic autoimmune disease).
Read more at:
- Toxic Substances Portal – Trichloroethylene (TCE)
- Human Health Effects of Trichloroethylene: Key Findings and Scientific IssuesTrichloroethylene
- Map of TCE Soil Vapors found on the Marriott Site
Those are just two of the over 40 carcinogenic chemicals that are in and around the Quarry Dump Marriott Site.
Volunteer – We Need You
We are a group of volunteers and we need assistance with a large variety of tasks and events. Help us protect our community!
For more information:
- Please Read: Dr. Mary Spiciarich response to Linda Shaw – Oct 2016
- Please Read: Dr. Don Hughes – Comments and letter to Planning Board – Oct 18th
- Please Read: Dr. Hughes assessment of the Data April 2016.
- Please Read: Dr. Hughes 9/15/16 comments on the project.
- Click here to see the DEC Site Record Click here and enter: Site Code # C360143
We are advocating for you.
Dr. Donald Hughes, P.E., PHD., Mr. David Gordon, Esq., and Mr. Paul Rubin are your experts.